Sinus infection is caused due to virus, bacteria or fungi. Swelling and inflammation occurs in the sinuses which further lead to mucus build-up. Infection is often activated due to the cold which leads to blockage in sinus.
Sinus is a hollow and air filled sac which is usually found behind the cheekbones and forehead. And when it gets tamped with fluid or germs, infection arises. Allergies, pollution exposure, nasal polyps, tissue irritants and deviated septum, cigarette smoking, nasal sprays are all the factors that can cause sinus infection.
Headache, pain, nasal discharge, tender face, sore throat, pressure and cough and fever are the most common symptoms of sinus infection. Let’s take a sneak-peek on these natural home remedies to get relief from sinus infection.
Nasal irrigation is an effective remedy for clearing mucus and other waste from the sinuses.
- In warm water, put ½ tsp. of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp. of sea salt. Then take a bulb syringe or any irrigation device for nasal irrigation. Do it daily for few days unless you don’t get relief. Make sure not to use it more than one time a day.
- Or you can make a solution of ½ tsp. of canning salt, little baking soda and a cup of lukewarm water (prefer distilled water). Do this twice or thrice a day for about a week.
Sinuses get open up with the use of cayenne pepper. It is a good product to reduce swelling and boosts immunity. Plus, the blood circulation gets enhanced.
- Take a cup of hot water and put a tsp. of cayenne pepper. Drink this solution twice or thrice a day.
- Consume a mixture of tsp. of cayenne pepper and honey few times in a day.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Sinus infection can be prevented with the consumption of apple cider vinegar, if taken in the initial stages of allergy, cold and flu.
- Make a solution of 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar and one cup warm water.
- Pour a tsp. of honey.
- And drink this mixture thrice a day for 5-6 days.
Onion is a decongestant which works brilliantly to open up blocked sinuses. And its sulphur compound properties combat bacteria and fungi.
- Take a pot of water and put some chopped onion pieces to it.
- Bring it to boil and inhale the steam for few minutes.
- Drink this liquid after straining this solution.
- Repeat it few times a day for a week until you get relief.
Garlic is an antibiotic to fight with sinus infection especially if bacteria are the reason behind it. It has anti-fungal properties to cure sinus infection.
- Take a pot of boiling water and add three chopped garlic cloves to it. Inhale the vapours of this solution for few minutes and repeat this process daily few times until you see any improvement.
- Consume three fresh garlic cloves once in a day.
Hope you enjoyed reading the article. Include these natural home remedies in your routine and get rid of excess mucus or sinus infection.